Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement
Housing advice

Behind with rent or mortgage payments

A change to a job or financial situation can result in difficulties in paying your rent, mortgage or other key bills. This happens to a lot of people, however your rent or mortgage payment should be your priority debt and needs to be paid before any other debts or bills. 

If you find yourself in trouble contact your landlord (or their letting agent) or your lender to talk about your situation as soon as possible. If you cannot pay your usual amount, make an offer to pay what you can. Contacting them at an early stage shows that you are trying to get things under control and you are making a plan. 

Understanding your budget is important, use the Citizens Advice budgeting tool to see how you could manage your money better and help to pay your bills.

There are service available to help you deal with your situation. Contact them for a chat, the sooner you talk to them to find a solution the better things will be. If you are renting from a housing association, speak to your landlord as they can help you.

The government funds a free Money Advice Service.

Contact Citizens Advice for arrears advise & support, benefits that you are eligible for and how to improve your financial situation.

If you receive housing benefit, or the housing element of Universal Credit you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (known as a DHP). This is in addition to your usual housing payment to help you out in the short term. For further information and how to apply for Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support or visit our hardship page.

Working with the council

If you need more advice and help, contact us as soon as you know you are at risk of losing your accommodation, for example when you have missed rent or mortgage payments or you receive letters from your landlord or mortgage provider. Do not wait until you have nowhere to stay. You can work with us to help you find a solution. If you want to work with us, the first step is for you to provide us with some information about you and your situation

It is much better for us to try and prevent you becoming homeless in the first place or to help to you look for a planned move.

If you need to leave urgently or in the next few days, see the information on nowhere to stay

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?