Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement
Council Tax

I’m finding it difficult to pay my Council Tax

There is help available and many flexible ways that you can pay your Council Tax bill. For more information on ways to pay and payment dates see Paying your Council Tax.

If you are struggling to pay because you live alone, are living with a disability or feel your situation means you should be eligible for a concession, then take a look at our Discounts and Exemptions page to see if you could receive money off of your bill.

If you are struggling to pay your council tax because you are looking for work or education opportunities, please follow the advice below, however we also had advice to help you to seek work or education opportunities on our website.

If you cannot pay your Council Tax on time or are struggling to pay, don’t delay, contact us as soon as you can. We will do all we can to help you.

  • You can request your instalments to be spread over the remaining months until March 2024 by completing our online form. You need to have a My Account with upgraded access in order to complete the form. If you already have a basic account, sign in to request upgraded access. If you do not have an account, register nowOnce you have signed into your account, simply select 'My Council Tax' and the option to 'Request to spread payments'
  • Alternatively, you can request a call from one of our Connect Team or call 0300 123 2224 to speak to one of our advisors

If you want to find out if you may be entitled to Council Tax Support, visit our Council Tax support page.

If you have problems paying more than just you Council Tax bill, then you may want to consider contacting the organisations below. They will try to work out a way in which to help you.

  • Age UK - 0800 055 6112
  • Community Legal Service - 0345 345 4345
  • Citizens Advice Bureau - 0345 404 0506

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?