Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement

Benefits - Change Of Circumstances

It is your responsibility to make sure the details on your claim are up to date.

The following is a list of changes that we must be informed about as they can affect your benefits although this is not exhaustive.

  • Starting to claim Universal Credit
  • Stopping or starting work, or changing employer
  • A wage change following a change of hours, rate of pay or if you are off work sick.
  • Starting to pay into a work based pension or paying for child care
  • Your capital (the total amount held in all of your accounts) reaching £6,000, £10,000 or £16,000
  • A child leaving school or if you stop receiving Child Benefit
  • Receiving an annual pension increase, even if it’s only a small amount
  • Anyone moving in or out of your home
  • Having a baby
  • Start or stop to receive benefits for a disability or carer’s allowance
  • A change in income or other benefits for anyone in the household
  • A change in your rent or service charges
  • Moving house

Even if you don’t think a change will make a difference to your claim, it is important to let us know so that we can check the amount of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support that you are entitled to.

Any delay in reporting changes could mean you lose money that is due to you, or may mean that we have paid you too much, and in most cases we would ask you to repay this.

We may suspend your claim when we have been told about a change if we need more information and we will write to you about this. This means payments will temporarily stop. We do this to try to prevent an overpayment.

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?